BREAST ULTRASOUND EXAMINATION
WHAT KIND OF EXAMINATION IS THE BREAST ULTRASOUND?
- The breast ultrasound is the ultrasound examination of the breasts and the armpits (axillae)
WHAT IS THE IRRADIATION SOURCE?
- There is no ionising radiation
- This diagnostic device takes images utilising the reflection properties of the harmless ultrasound waves
WHAT KIND OF INFORMATION CAN GIVE THE EXAMINATION TO THE RADIOLOGIST?
- It depicts the structural buildup of the breasts and the armpits, therefore it provides structural information
WHAT WILL HAPPEN TO ME DURING THE EXAMINATION?
- The radiology specialist makes and interview with you to get to know your anamnesis, potential symptoms and previous examination reports
- In the examination room you will be asked to undress above the waist, the specialis performs a palpation examination on your breasts and armpits and then asks you to lie onto the examination bed in supine position
- During the ultrasound examination you will be lying in supine or in lateral position
- The radiology specialist applies a gelish, skin friendly, aqueous, non-fatty material on the skin of the breasts and armpits (this is required because of the highest image quality, because this gel provides appropriate contact between the skin and the device)
- The specialist places the probe onto the gel-coated area
- The dynamic ultrasound image is displayed on two computer monitors one of which you are able to see.
- There is no breast compression, but the probe touches the breasts.
- After the examination you can wipe off the contact gel and dress up
- The radiologist reviews all the images and findings of the previous examinations and he or she compares it with the images of that day.
- In the end the specialist informs you about the result of the examination, gives over the examination report and answers your questions.
HOW LONG DOES THE EXAMINATION LAST?
- The duration of the ultrasound examination depends on more factors, it lasts approximately 10–15 minutes
WHY BREAST ULTRASOUND EXAMINATION IS NEEDED?
- The breast ultrasound examination can be performed from a very young age and this is the examination of choice under the age of 35
- The dense, glandular breast tissue, specific to young women can be very well examined by ultrasound
- The image of the so called "dense" breast can be well displayed by the high resolution monitors
- It is recommended for clarification of any question arisen during any other breast examination method (X-ray mammography, CT laser mammography)
- Ultrasound is a means to visualise other abnormal lesions besides malignant lesions:
- non tumourous tissue growth
- cysts containing liquid or solid tissues
- The images can be easily compared to previous digital examination results
- The image can be digitally archived, home storage of the image is not needed
FOR WHOM AND HOW OFTEN IS BREAST ULTRASOUND EXAMINATION RECOMMENDED?
- The examination can be performed at any time, at any age without any side effects.
- The choice of the required imaging methods is based on clinical decision and it depends on several factors: such as age, the size of the breasts and the personal and family history with regard to the risk factors
- It is recommended for every women above the age of 20 as an occasional screening
- For women over 20 who are taking birth pill, yearly
- For women who have breast implants, yearly (by ultrasound the general status of the implant and the presence of any leakage can be very well determined)
- For average-risk women below 40 years of age yearly
- For high-risk women below 40 years of age yearly
- For average-risk women between 40–50 years of age who are free of signs and symptoms, as the incidence of breast cancer is higher in this age group and the malignant tumour developed in this age can grow faster
- For average-risk women above the age of 50 it is recommended in every second year
- (women of between 45–65 years of age and free of signs and symptoms receive a referral in every 2 years in the frame of public health screening)
FOR WHOM BREAST ULTRASOUND IS NOT RECOMMENDED?
- The examination can be performed and repeated in anyone at any age
- It does not represent any burden for the body and it does not associated by any discomfort
WHY THE USE OF NEW PROCEDURES AND DEVICES IS NEEDED AND WHY COMPLEX BREAST DIAGNOSTIC EXAMINATION IS REQUIRED?
- Because there is no such examination which can give a result of 100%
- The more information has the radiology specialist, the more precise is the diagnosis
- The aim of developing modern breast diagnostics is to provide such examinational processes and devices with which the structure of the breasts can be examined possibly without any irradiation exposure.
- X-ray mammography is the gold standard of breast diagnostics but its value is limited in case of dense breasts because in dense and solid type breasts the still not palpable lumps can be hidden by the structure
- Ont he X-ray image there are black and white areas.
- The dense type tissues are rich in connective tissue and glandular substance and are depicted as white areas on the X-ray image. The image of the malignant lesion is also white, so the tumour can be hidden by the dense breast tissue.
- The colour of the fattier type breast tissue is almost black on the X-ray image, in which the white tumour can be easily distinguished.
- The rate of women who have dense breast tissue is very high, in the young age range it can reach up to 65% but among 90 years old women it is still as common as 20%!
- In the dense type of breast tissue the risk of breast cancer can be up to two times higher as in the normal breast tissue, in the extreme dense type, the risk can be 4–6 fold higher then the average risk.
- International experts in breast radiology stated the indisputable fact that examinations are not competing to each other, their common aim is to detect the presence of a malignant lesion as soon as possible
WHAT KIND OF EXAMINATIONS ARE RECOMMENDED BESIDES BREAST ULTRASOUND AND WHY?
- If it is reasonable based on the patient's age or medical professional reasons
- Besides breast ultrasound we recommend the following examinations specifically in the case of dense, glandular breast tissue (high breast density):
WHAT TYPE OF BREAST ULTRASOUND DEVICE IS USED AT MEDOC HEALTH CENTER?
WHEN WILL I GET TO KNOW THE RESULT OF THE EXAMINATION?
- Specialists at the Medoc Health Center know very well the phsychological burden of waiting, therefore the detailed specialist evaluation of the findings and the handover of the report is performed immediately without delay.
- No matter how old you are, if you have noticed any abnormality in your breast, DO NOT WAIT, but please contact our specialists without delay.
- Before choosing any of our examination packages, please refer to our "Breast diagnostics" service!
- In order to detect breast cancer early, the ladies herselves can make the most.
OUR PRICESCurrent2018. nov. 01.**
I. – Breast US basic examination(breast ultrasound + axillary ultrasound + breast physical examination)13 900 HUF15 900 HUF
II. - ABUS basic examination(3D automated breast ultrasound + axillary ultrasound + breast physical examination)22 500 HUF24 900 HUF
III. - CTLM + breast US complex examination(CT laser mammography + breast ultrasound + axillary ultrasound + breast physical examination)33 900 HUF37 900 HUF
IV. - CTLM + ABUS complex examination(CT laser mammography + 3D automated breast ultrasound + axillary ultrasound + breast physical examination)39 900 HUF44 900 HUF
V. – X-ray mammography + breast US complex examination(X-ray mammography + breast ultrasound + axillary ultrasound + breast physical examination)21 900 HUF24 900 HUF
VI. – X-ray mammography + ABUS complex examination(X-ray mammography + 3D automated breast ultrasound + axillary ultrasound + breast physical examination)29 900 HUF34 900 HUF
VII. – X-ray mammography + CTLM + breast US complex examination(X-ray mammography + CT laser mammography + breast ultrasound + axillary ultrasound + breast physical examination)38 900 HUF43 900 HUF
VIII. – X-ray mammography + CTLM + ABUS complex examination(X-ray mammography + CT laser mammography + 3D automated breast ultrasound + axillary ultrasound + breast physical examination)43 900 HUF49 900 HUF
Röntgen mammográfia utólag elvégezve(a CTLM + emlő UH vizsgálat kiegészítéseként)10 000 HUF12 000 HUF
Aspirációs citológiai mintavétel vékonytűvel(beutaló szükséges)29 500 HUF29 500 HUF
Discussion of breast diagnostic medical report(if received in different clinic)10 000 HUF12 900 HUF
HOW SHOULD I PREPARE MYSELF FOR THE EXAMINATION?
- For the breast examination the most suitable time interval is the first half of the menstrual cycle, Days 8–14 from the first day of the bleeding (in this phase, the breasts are less sensitive)
- Please bring all your medical reports on previous breast examinations.
- Please wear such clothing that you can comfortably take off from the top half of your body.
- Please wear such jewelleries that are easy to take off.
- Please do not use any cream or deodorant because those can affect the results of the breast diagnostic examination.